Not a week can go by without someone asking me why I am not married or what I am looking for in a man. Simple answer? When I meet Chick-Fil-A, I’ll get married. Here’s why:
- Chick-Fil-A loves Jesus. They make choices based on Christian principles. They are closed on Sundays. They put belief before the cost of losing worldly success. They are convicted.
- They use real chicken! My husband will be real. He won’t be leftover chicken parts whipped together, rolled out, and cookie cut into the shape of a man. He’ll be 100% organic real man. He’ll be so true and authentic in all that he is and does.
- His customer service will be phenomenal! Chick-Fil-A makes you feel like they’ve been waiting all day just to make you feel special. You don’t ever have to ask twice and they bring a smile to your face. They swoop in and pick up your mess when you don’t even know you’ve made one. They refill your drink, so you’re never thirsty. “My pleasure” is their motto.
- I have never been in a nasty Chick-Fil-A. My husband will love his body and wash his tail. You would think I would not have to say that, but it’s some nasty men out here, y’all. Not only will my husband take pride in his physical temple, he’ll work every day to be pure at heart.
- Chick-Fil-A has the best sauce selection ever, and they give you as many as you ask for without charging extra. The man I marry will be so saucy. Sometimes he’ll be tangy like honey mustard. Other times sweet and savory like BBQ. Some days he’ll be Zesty like buffalo. Other days he’ll be spicy like Siracha! But even on the worst days, he’ll be my Polynesian sauce, my favorite, the only one that goes well with everything.
- My future bae will be waffle fries. I love potatoes in general, but I will go out of my way for waffle fries. They are unique, flavorful, perfectly salted, rare and I will fight somebody behind my waffle fries.
- Anyone who knows me knows, I don’t like sweet tea, but for some reason I will drink Chick-Fil-A’s sweet tea! My husband will be the exception.
- Have you ever noticed that no matter how many cars are in line at Chick-Fil-A you never have to wait? How is it possible? They are organized! They have a plan. They know when they will need the most help, and they put people in place to ensure the job gets done. Chick-Fil-A workers will stand outside in the rain with an iPad and a parasol to ensure things go well. My husband will be a man with goals, an actionable plan, and pieces set in place to move us forward through life.
- Chick-Fil-A billboards are simple, yet hilarious. My husband will make me crack up. He’ll have a sense of humor that will inspire me to laugh even when the day is hard.
- I’ve never had a bad meal at Chick-Fil-A. There is no substitute or cheaper equal to Chick-Fil-A. No matter where I am, no matter if I have Chick-Fil-A money or not, no matter if a thousand chicken restaurants open in the city, I always come back to Chick-Fil-A. There will be times when we will disagree, times when we don’t get along, times when we have to sit quietly in separate rooms so we don’t kill one another, men will throw themselves at me, but my husband will be Chick-Fil-A. There won’t be another like him, no substitute; no one else will get my business. There will be no other chicken love but him.
My Daddy and I at one of my college graduations.
Father’s Day is just a few days away and I would LOVE to see my daddy once again. I miss him terribly. Even after all these years, I still adore my father. I still live to make him proud, heed his warnings, hear his words. And if after almost 9 years of his absence I still consider myself daddy’s girl, he must have done something right. Here are ten things you should do for your daughter:
- Remind her daily that she is created by the Most High with High Purpose.
- Don’t just tell her she’s smart; tell her that she is gifted and name the ways she’s gifted. Does she have a way with words? Is she great at math? A people person? Gifted with pets? Tell her that you see her gifts.
- Don’t just tell her that she is beautiful; tell her why she is beautiful. Give her specific praise. What is it within your daughter that makes her beautiful?
- Listen to her. Hear her. Turn the TV off. Put your phone on silent. Even when she is babbling on about boys and girl drama, listen to your daughter. If you don’t listen to her, some raggedy boy will…and he may not reply with her best interest in mind.
- Teach her to be a lady. My daddy taught me how to be a lady. My mama taught me about womanly things like thinking smart, periods, bras, cleaning house, not taking ish from anyone, etc. But it was my daddy that said, “Cross your ankles when you sit down, Lady. A lady lays her napkin on her lap. A lady always smells good and dresses well.” And not only did he teach me about being a lady, he taught me what a lady should expect from a gentleman.
- Fight for her. Protect her. Make a scene if the need arises. Let her know that you’ll start a war, move heaven and earth to defend her.
- Be honest about sex. My daddy told me exactly what men thought so I’d be prepared for the game. Don’t just say, “Don’t get pregnant.” Tell her the about the responsibilities and consequences that come with sex including the physical, emotional and most importantly…spiritual. Arm her with the truth.
- Teach her. From you, your daughter will learn how to treat a man, what a man should do, how to navigate the world around her, and so much more! Daddy, though it may be hard at times, one of the most important lessons you will teach your daughter is how a man treats a woman. You will teach her this lesson in the way you treat her mother. Now I know her mother may not always deserve respect, but respect her anyway. She may not always deserve kindness, be kind anyway. Sometimes you might want to shake her, don’t shake her. Your daughter is watching you, and how you treat her mother is how she will let men treat her.
- Be consistent. My daddy was home every night at the same time. Even when he was preaching in other cities, he was never gone too long. Not every father lives in the same house with his child, but this is no excuse for inconsistency. If your job only paid you when they felt like it or if they had nothing better to do, would you accept that? How much more important is the job of raising your daughter? If you only see your child once a week, see your child once EVERY week. If you only see your child the first Friday of the month, be there EVERY first Friday of the month. Women thrive in relationships with men they can depend on. Teach her while she’s young that a real man consistently shows up for the girl that he loves.
- Respect her. Know that though she may be like you, but she is not you. She is not her mother. She is the best parts of both of you. Respect her as an individual and in doing so you will show her that she was made to stand out, not fit in.
I could go on and on about all the things your daughter needs from you. She needs your encouragement, your trust, and your time. She needs you to teach her respect and show her respect so that she’ll always expect respect. She needs your affection because if you are loving on her, she’ll be far less apt to let any old knuckle head get in her pants. But above all, she needs your unconditional love. You are the first man in her life, the navigator that sets the course for all her future relationships. Ask yourself, “Am I the kind of man I would want my daughter to marry?” And if the answer if no, today is as good a day as any to begin again.